Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The side effect of Side Effects

It's been awhile since a movie has surprised me; I went into Side Effects knowing that it had something to do with anti-depressant drugs, and imagined some kind of New York-y tableau on relationships, with the kind of unedited banter that director Steven Soderbergh employed in an earlier film, Sex Lies & Videotape
(In short, I imagined a film that I should like, but didn't, because so many of the movies I like are rom coms starring actors who were famous in the 90s.)
Boy, was I wrong. 
I don't want to give away too much, because it's best if you know absolutely nothing about this film. But if it makes you go to see it quicker, it's a psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns. At one point, I actually gasped out loud, and that doesn't usually happen when I watch a film. (I was in Gold Class, and often I do gasp at the luxuriousness of those reclining seats - does one ever get used to that? - but that's not why I gasped this time.) 
Jude Law: best thing he's done since The Talented Mr. Ripley. Rooney Mara: super talented, has that capacity to look beautiful/ weird/ ugly at varying angles. Channing Tatum: I didn't mind seeing him strip in Magic Mike, but he can actually act. Catherine Zeta-Jones: ooooh, fabulous. 
And because I'm one of those people who thrills at noticing bit players in films and then passing that stat off as trivia, I was pleased to see Meryl Streep's daughter, Mamie Gummer, in a party scene
Hitting screens Feb 28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.